Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Risus: HERESY!

I have a confession to make. I have never played Paranoia.

Ok, that's not quite right. I played in one session of Paranoia, and it didn't go well. I had a blast, but some of the other players really did not, so the campaign never took off. Twenty years passed.

I own the Second Edition rules, and some of the adventures, but I never actually worked my way through the rules to the point where I wanted to actually run a game. But I had an idea a few years ago: a Paranoia-type campaign set in a fantasy world. Instead of the Computer, you have The Oracle; instead of Alpha Complex, The Temple (rather like a megadungeon). The players are Inquisitors instead of Troubleshooters; they may belong to Heresies instead of secret societies, or they might secretly be demons instead of unregistered mutants. A dead Inquisitor is replaced by a simulacrum instead of a clone.  Automatons take the place of robots. Instead of technological assistance, they have amulets, talismans, relics, holy symbols, prayerbooks, etc. -- though they might be cursed, or inappropriate for the current mission, or both.

That's all for now.

No comments: