Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Woohoo! My First Graphic on this Blog!



This staggered-square graph paper is similar to the one that appeared in one version of the Basic Role Playing game published by Chaosium in the late 70s or early 80s. I always thought it combined the advantages of hexagon grids and graph paper, in that it gave you movement in 6 drections, like hex grids, but you could also draw things in 90 and 45 degree angles, unlike the 30 degree increments of the hex grids. I know there's quite a history of hex grids and wargaming, but I always thought it was a shame that the square-brick pattern never caught on.

Has anybody seen this used in any other game, or was it pretty much a one-shot in BRP? If it was available, would you find a use for it? (BTW, I created this at http://incompetech.com/graphpaper/ .)

4 comments:

Chris Creel said...

I'm sure I'd find a use for that stacked brick graph paper and thanks for the link.

Will Douglas said...

I remember this from that!

I've always loved it. I've tried to use it in various places, but people just gotta have their hexes...

Unknown said...

The first time I ever saw it was in some old Traveller sector maps (such as in Alien races). I love the offset squares for much the same reason you do, plus they are easier to create on a computer. I use them in my current Gurps game (a steampunk space-opera/dimensional hopping mashup).

Unknown said...

It's very easy to m ake on the Incompetech page, Just fnd their brick template and equal out the horizontal and vertical lengths.

I think I remember sinding a site that works the same way, except they don't put their logo on the PDF.